Sunday, October 7, 2007

Coconut Chocolate Cookies


Welcome back! This time I am able to manage my time to get into my baking times, and this time it was to do with Coconut Chocolate Cookies, a beautiful look at it's design, and sometimes it'll rather looks like a truffle. I do bake the basic dough, mixed with a 125 g of a cornflakes, and then shaped into the balls and baked into a hot oven until slightly brown before cooled and topped with a melted Vochelle baking chocolate and dipped in the toasted flaked coconut. Fuhh.. it sounds good, but it do look great if you tried it. I will rather dip it wholly into the chocolate, but it is quite challenging, as my hand is not quite steady in handling such a tiny items and, yet to be dipped in the hot melted chocolate for a neat result. So what I've done is just a part of the cookies has been dipped, but its still tastes and looks good, with a toasted flaked coconut coated over the chocolate.



You may also substitutes the coconut with the almonds or hazelnut if you like, but I'm still following the original recipes that calls for a toasted flaked or dessicated coconut. It may becomes a perfect match, as the smells of the coconut's fragrance mixed with a hot melted cooking chocolate will produce a superb aroma of a new taste. Coconut and chocolate has long becomes a match, but this times its ones again coming into my nose during this coming raya, where most of the dishes includes a coconut, while this chocolaty tastes dishes, when it comes into the morning of raya humidity as usual as many available cookies, thus matching it with a coconut tastes will increase more of your ready produced appetite.

Ok, so, as usual, I'd like to share this recipe with the readers, even it's still a copyrighted material, taken from a Saji magazine, my lovely mag since a decade ago. I will put its courtesy at the end of the recipe. Enjoy!


Coconut Chocolate Cookies (Biskut Coklat Kelapa)

Ingredients:

3 cups self-raising flour
125g margarine
190g castor sugar
125g cornflakes, finely crushed (I used Nestle)
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Cooking chocolate, melted (I used Vochelle baking chocolate)
Dessicated coconuts
Paper cups


Method:

1. Cream margarine, sugar and vanilla essence until light.
2. Fold in cornflakes and baking powder, stir until mixed
3. Fold in the flour. Knead lightly with your fingertips, until the dough is soft, well combined, and suitable enough to form into balls. You may add or decrease the amount of the flour according to your dough condition. (This depends on your humidity and the air temperature of your place).
4. Form into balls, place on the ungreased cooking tray and bake at the temperature of 170 C for 10 to 15 minutes.
5. When cooked, leave the cookies to cool on the tray before dipped into the melted chocolate finally coated with a lightly toasted dessicated coconut. Place into the paper cups and serve.

(Copyrighted. A courtesy of Saji (BUMPER September Edition), page 52)

One thing I would like to let you know is I have been baked this cookies by using the coarse sugar (normal sugar) instead of the castor sugar. I have a hard time finding my leftover caster sugar in my kitchen, but I never found it! Maybe I've misplaced it or maybe someone has used it before. So, without any other choices, I have to used my ordinary available sugar which it looks very eye-catching as it has a greatest quantity in my kitchen, with a volume of full tall tabletop tupperware in front of my eyes.

When I mixed the coarse sugar with the margarine, the mixture seems a bit heavy to blends together, as it took a longer time to increases its volume. I have to use my spatula and insert it into the mixer while it is working, so that it has the extra pressure to makes it raise a little. After all, the cookies also took a longer time to cook maybe because of this sugar, I'd rather think so. However, the result is quite good and I believe it does the same. Try use the ingredients as provided, and make sure you have all the ingredients required in your kitchen before you start. Enjoy your baking!

No comments: