Thursday, September 27, 2007

Ramadhan Desserts

Welcome back, watch out for the new incoming desserts from day to day, year to year every time we are in the celebration periods! This time we are in the Ramadhan period, where we could see on our roadsides a lot of hawker stalls selling a wide range of fast-breaking treats, from a sugar cane drinks, to a fully mouth watering treats like murtabaks at the Ramadhan Baazar. I'm quite lucky this year, as my workplace prepared a well completed meal for a fast breaking and supper(sahur), where there include the place, the tables and a canopy for the late-stayers to have their parts. I'm not missed this chances too, where we can keep the works and community together.

Whilst I'm having a free supplies of foods, I'm quite surprise when I'm walking pass by a roadside or streets, where the activities are altered quite rapidly within the last year - last year there are most peoples selling kuihs or cakes and desserts in Malay, while this year there are peoples or folks selling toys, fruits, and some sorts of scarfs and sarongs among indonesians. They are selling this maybe because of the continuity from their pasts activities, where they don't afford to cut it as its their only bread and butter.

Ok. The only difference is, I can still saw the selling activities, although the items is slightly difference. They might have doing this for the past few years, but maybe I just realized it. Well, for this post, I haven't yet baked anything, sorry for the one who waits out there, as I've already said, I used this blog to express all kinds of foods topics, including the culture, the journeys, and also the events or happenings about the foods world. However, I would rather include more of the recipes on baking in this blog, as it names goes. Anyway, by the time I got some new idea, but I still don't managed to done it in the kitchen, or something new findings about a food, I will try to write it here.

Out of all of the sorts of kuihs, there is some weird and some to be said weird recipes being served or sell during this Ramadhan. What is to be the weird ones is the one that I have tried just now, where the sago pudding is being cooked together with a coconut milk and sugar in one pot and served. We usually have the sago cooked first, and then poured over with the coconut milk and the dark sugar, but this ones seems to go all in once. Maybe they have a limited time to prepare. I have this in a very wonderful manner, where my workplace are having the very special occasions in Ramadhan, the Nuzul Quran, where it falls in the middle of the month. Usually the folks are having some extra treats, like kenduri or gatherings by having some extra rice dishes, like the briyanis and the beef or muttons rendang. Wow! it looks like a wedding occasions, while we are in the mood of our Raya celebration. The cakes or kuihs served is also a good, or maybe I can said to be the best ones, where the sweet layer of steamed cakes (kuih lapis) being served in the big slices, soft and rich in the centre, just like the one served in the hotels. There are desserts served, like the sago pudding I said just now, and the famous Teh Tarik (a high-pulled milk tea) with a quite creamy tasty. That's all for the foods, and there are also an enough supplies of dates, where it were a Bam Dates, the one that have the dark color and soft and quite sweet tastes.

As for the one that said to be the weird ones, its the kind of dishes which are migrated from the western countries, and almost blended with the locals ones. One of the examples is you can see the fig cookies, where I never saw the one like this before. The figs usually founds in the middle easts countries, as well as some parts in the Europe sides. This lovely cookies made with a blend of normally used ingredients, like the butter cookies, and topped with the fruits. There are many more western style of dishes which are being blended to my locals nowadays, such as the mutton cooked in a chocolate sauces, pastas in laksa sauce, lasagne using a koey teow layers and something like a combination between the muffins and apoms the local favorite steam cakes. Not to mention the collections of puddings and desserts, like the smoothies, panna cottas, and the agar-agar which is prepared in the mixed styles, added with a cream or ice cream, local fruits or bites and many more. There are also the traditionally unforgettable cuisines that has been renewed to match the current styles as well.

Ok, that's all for my exposes during this fasting month, and I hope to have the best-suited favour dishes on this coming Raya celebration. Happy fasting and Hari Raya to all muslims, especially Malaysians!

No comments: