Sunday, September 23, 2007

Raya Feast!!!


Surprise! Welcome to my only blog about food, culinary(I'm not a pro, but I'm just want to let myself into it:)) and bakery. Ok, first of all I have just only started a baking hobby, beginning from the last decade, where I found this was only the easiest way to spend in the kitchen. Until today, I've been baked for almost all sorts of cakes, cookies, pies, puddings, and some pizzas. Actually, I supposed to start this blog earlier, as I've baked quite so much pieces of goodies, including the awesome cakes which I took some from a web or books, but I rather like to create my own recipe for the purpose of posting it here.

Ok. Firstly, I have baked some nice cookie for this incoming Raya celebration and I would like to post it here to share it with all the readers. The cookie entitled "Coconut Hazel Cookies". The result is quite good, although there are some soggy parts inside it, where I used to upgraded it by baking it longer. The final result seems ok, but it will welcome the guest depending to their acceptance!

For this cookies, I took it from my favorite magazine - Saji, with a thick pages of almost all of it contains the cookies recipes, where the recipes calls for some desicated coconut, ground hazelnut, flours, margarine/butter, egg yolk and the brown sugar. Usually this recipe doesn't calls for a vanilla essence, but it does comes out with a quite nice fragrant, maybe it comes from the coconut. I used the high fat dessicated coconut, my mom got it last time when she was in the Ministry of Agriculture. This kind of coconut turns out well!

Thinking twice, I wonder whether I could publish this recipe or not. To be honest, I'm quite concern about the copyright, but, as a mean for sharing, I'm trying to publish it by stating the authority below it.


The recipe are as follow:

250 g butter or margarine
160g brown sugar
2 egg yolks
260 g flour
1 cup self-raising flour
30g dessicated coconut
30g ground hazel

An extra green colored dessicated coconut for decorating
a little egg whites for decorating

1) Place the butter, sugar and yolks in a mixer, beat until light.
2) Add flours and the rest of dried ingredients, mix well
3) Roll dough on a plastic mat, form a 1 cm thick dough.
4) Cut into desired shapes, brush with a little egg whites and sprinkle
a little coconut to decorate.
5) Bake in a preheated oven at 180C + for at least 20 minutes +. The baking time
may be longer, depending on your oven, usually until the cookies turns light brown
on the edges.
6) Cool cookies on the tray, remove it and store in an airtight container. Awesome!

(C) Courtesy of SAJI, Utusan Karya (BUMPER September '07 Edition - pg 119)

No comments: